The City of Newport, located in the upper northeast area of Vermont, is a four seasons resort area. It is bordered to the north by the Canadian Border and is the southern port of Lake Memphremagog.
Resting at the highest point of the peninsula of Newport, St. Mary Star of the Sea with its twin spires, gold crosses and statue of the Virgin Mary was formally dedicated August 1, 1909. Fr. Clermont acquired several parcels of land on Prospect Street. On one he built a wood-frame parish hall. This building later became the Sacred Heart School and Convent.
Newport is a gateway between New England and Canada. The city lies on the southern shore of Lake Memphremagog, whose name is derived from an Abenaki Indian word meaning "beautiful waters." On the western side of the 32-mile lake rises Owl's Head, named after an American Indian chief. Its 3,360 foot summit offers impressive views.