Having served the public for 290 years, Longfellow’s Wayside Inn is the oldest operating Inn on the one of the oldest commissioned roads in the United States. The Wayside Inn Historic District was designated a Local Historic District in 1967, a Massachusetts Historic Landmark in 1970, and a National Register District in 1973.
For almost three hundred years, the Inn has provided the setting for historic meetings and gatherings, the stories of which have been handed down from innkeeper to innkeeper and from neighbors to guests.
Built in 1929 by renowned hydraulic engineer J.B. Campbell, the Wayside Inn Grist Mill produces approximately 5 tons of flour per year. The Grist Mill was used by Pepperidge Farm as a full-time production facility from 1952-1967 and is the basis for their company logo.