Egg Rock Light. Frenchman's Bay. Bar Harbor, Maine Built on a rocky ledge in 1875 to mark the entrance to Frenchman Bay, Egg Rock Light consists of a brick tower in the center of a 1 1/2 story wooden keeper's house. The lighthouse originally held a fifth-order Fresnel lens. The appearance of Egg Rock Light was somewhat altered in the late 1890s when the original roof was replaced by the present roof with dormers.
Egg Rock Lighthouse, built on 12.5 acre Egg Rock in 1875, is still active today and is owned and managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The 1.5 story wood keeper's house, also built in 1875, is actually an integrel part of the tower. The fog signal house, oil house, boathouse, and generator.
In 1902 Egg Rock Light was upgraded with the installation of a new fourth-order lens. The characteristic was changed from fixed red to flashing white. The fog bell striking machinery was repaired the same year. The Coast Guard keepers were removed and Egg Rock Light was automated in 1976.