Sheffield Island Lighthouse.

August 31, 2015  •  Leave a Comment

Sheffield Island Lighthouse. Norwalk, Connecticut.
Sheffield Island Light is an historic Connecticut, USA, lighthouse located at the southern end of the Norwalk Islands on the west entrance of the Norwalk River on northern Long Island Sound.  

Sheffield Island Light.            
The island, at the time known as "White Island", was purchased by Captain Robert Sheffield in 1804 for $6000. In 1826 Gershom Smith, Sheffield's son in law, sold 4 of the island's 53 acres (21 ha) at the southwest point to the United States government for the purpose of building a lighthouse. Smith would serve as the first keeper for the light which was completed in 1828. At the time the island was known as Smith Island. The first light originally ran on oil.  

Sheffield Island Light. Norwalk, Connecticut.            

In 1857 the light was upgraded to a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The original 30 feet (9.1 m) tower was replaced by a Victorian style limestone (masonry) dwelling, with a 44 feet (13 m) high light tower in the gable, in 1868. The Fresnel lens from 1857 was moved into the new structure and with a focal plane 51 feet (16 m) above water it was visible for more than 12 miles (19 km). The lighthouse is of the same design as lighthouses at Great Captain Island and Morgan Point in Connecticut; Old Field Point Light and Plum Island in New York; and Block Island North in Rhode Island.

Sheffield Island Lighthouse. Norwalk, Connecticut.

Greens Ledge Light was built to the west of Sheffield in 1900 and was better located to warn ships of the rocks and shoals on the approach to Sheffield Island harbor and Norwalk harbor. Sheffield Island Light was then deactivated in 1902.[2] In 1987 the 118 year old structure was purchased by the Norwalk Seaport Association for renovation and restoration. In 1989 the lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1993 an electric generator was added to the structure. In the fall of that year, a great storm flooded the basement of the building and artifacts were lost or destroyed.[2] In 2002 the Seaport association started ferry service to the island, which is still running. In October 2011 the lighthouse was re-lit by a solar powered system installed to replace the gasoline generator system. The beacon is focused only on the Norwalk side and is not intended for use as navigation.

 Sheffield Island Lighthouse. Norwalk, Connecticut.            

More Photographs from Sheffield Island Lighthouse can be seen and purchased from New England Photography

Follow New England Photography on these Social Media sites.
tn_twitter
tn_Facebook
tn_google_box
 

Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Archive
January February March April May (1) June July (2) August (1) September October November December
January February March (2) April May June July August (1) September October November December
January (1) February March April May June (1) July August (3) September (2) October (1) November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December